Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"Key Lime Pi"

It all started with "Key Lime Pi". It actually started with me thinking I was really going to paint a still life of a real "Key Lime Pie" while thumbing through my cookbooks. As I was thinking about having to make a Key Lime Pie so I could paint it, I started thinking how much easier it would be to use an actual key and a whole lime so I wouldn't have to bake. But I got stuck on the "pie" part. I would still need a pie. Then I thought "PI". Yes, math. If I could use PI or 3.14 in my painting with a key and a lime...I wouldn't have to bake. Thus, my first Rebus was born! This piece was selected to Exhibit in the Salon International 2007, International Museum of Contemporary Masters, Greenhouse Gallery, San Antonio, Texas and then went on to win an award at the 2007 Women Artists of the West, East meets West juried show, Hilligoss Galleries in Chicago. In this piece, like all my works, I have many hidden things. From words spelled backwards to clues such as the word "DonMon" (DonKEY MonKEY) More obvious clues include the page number (314) and the Limes (3.14 of them).